Saturday 3 May 2014

Time Lapse Preparation + Filming

The time lapse in my thriller is one of the integral shots in terms of ensuring fluidity and facilitating the plot. I wanted to literally get as high as possible for the time lapse and considered actually getting arial footage initially. The problem with helicopter tours is availability. The next best thing in my opinion, was London's tallest building, THE SHARD, which is where I went. 

My thinking was that due to the The Shard's height of 1000ft, it would be ideal for obtaining the footage above London that would signal a day has passed to the audience. However, a few unexpected problems arose on the day. Despite actually ringing the 'View at the Shard' and asking them with all the rules to filming and being told that I was allowed a camera and a tripod, on the day the tripod was confiscated from me. 

Filming a time lapse without a tripod is like trying to eat soup without a spoon- not very easy! I persevered by actually placing the camera on the floor by the floor to ceiling windows at the Shard as seen on the right. It was very awkward to try and position it and adjust the focal length so that the reflection behind the glass is not visible. 



 This is the view from the Shard and this photo was taken with my iPhone so hence my reflection is visible. However, this view was ideal because it overlooked Canary Wharf which is where my main character is from. It also shows the River Thames and London Bridge which is iconic to London, firmly placing the setting of my thriller in London.










As time progresses the city gets darker and more lights come on showing that day has ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment