Sunday 4 May 2014

The audience for my media product?

It is hard to say who my target audience will be and give a specific profile, because I think my thriller will appeal to a wide range of people. However, I think it will be most popular amongst two 'groups' of people;


Teenagers [13-17]
I am inclined not to say one gender will be more likely to enjoy my thriller than the other, but stereotypically I think because its set in Canary Wharf and my main character is male, there is a stronger chance that it will appeal more to males of this age range. My thriller is packed with action and a psychedelic/convoluted narrative and thus it will appeal more to the intellectual than anything. I think teenage boys will like the action aspect of it, and recently I believe there has been a revolution with respect to the kind of movie teenage boys are watching. Unusual thrillers are more interesting than the traditional hollywood story lines that even youngsters are getting tired of. Usually, when your main character is male, males will find it easier to connect with him and the same is true with females and female characters. I think because my main character is young and male, and obviously psychotic he will appeal to young males. A survey that was conducted showed that young men's favourite villainous persona in film is the Pyscopath, examples including Hannibal Lecter and Fight Club's Tyler Durden.


Young Business Professionals
Due to the amount of businessman iconography featured in the opening, it will appeal to people in a similar profession. Canary Wharf has a dominating presence in my opening which is generally considered to be the London's business hub, and generally represents the London economy and London's flourishing business world. Usually when a film portrays a certain kind of person, for example, a businessman or woman or a civil worker, people in that profession are more inclined to watch the movie to see how their profession has been portrayed on screen. This logic would dictate that businessmen are likely to watch my thriller. This is good because it is a very broad category and will result in a bigger audience which means better yield at the box office. 


Movies similar to mine:  

  • Fargo
  • Memento
  • Enemy
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Silence of the Lambs

My thriller features a lot of elements from some of the thrillers above. For example, we have a psychologically disturbed main character, a convoluted narrative and complex chronology. The films above appeal to almost everyone, but predominately males aged 15-25. 




No comments:

Post a Comment