Sunday 4 May 2014

Representation of Social Groups

The Characters;
The main character is an alpha-male young adult who woks in the business world. The business world is being represented through Canary Wharf, both on the picture of the left and in the time lapse in the beginning and his young age is being shown through the red iPad primarily. There are other means for the audience to gauge that the main character is in his early twenties, such as the fact that he is in a suit, that he is travelling alone on the train and that he appears to live alone.





My other character, who plays the role of victim is far more mysterious. We can see based on her attire and height and general look that she is a young female, aged somewhere between seven and twelve.








Racial Stereotyping

Both the victim and the attacker seem to be of a similar racial/ethnic background. This was important to me because statistics show that most murderers or serial killers operate within their own race. Thus conveying this was important to me, as I wanted my thriller opening to be as representative of the real world as possible. Also, I  did not want the murder to seem racially motivated, as that has nothing to do with the narrative.



Criminal - Victim Dynamic/Relationship




I have gone for a classic portrayal of victim and attacker, in the respect that my victim is a young helpless female, whilst the attacker is an older more aggressive male. My media product therefore portrays women as passive and male as dominant and active. This is an old-fashioned view on gender relationships in the film world of crime, but is one that is still shown in a lot of modern thrillers.

In the frame above, the 'helpless little girl' is being strangles and effectively KILLED by the crazed male. This is a stereotype within film, but one I have deliberately played up to.























No comments:

Post a Comment